A Closer Look at Theanine
At this time of year, when exam stress is at an all time high, it’s important to have effective strategies at hand to support a healthy stress response before it gets out of control. Theanine has gained much attention in recent years as a natural ingredient that may help to support a healthy stress response both quickly and effectively.
Theanine & Stress – A Summary:
• Theanine is a naturally occurring amino acid found in the tea plant (Camellia sinensis) and is associated with relaxing and concentration-enhancing properties
• Experimental studies have demonstrated cognitive performance enhancing, anti-stress, anti-depressant and neuroprotective activities of theanine.
• Theanine is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream after digestion where it reaches maximal concentration within 30 minutes to 2 hours and can cross the blood brain barrier for transport directly to the brain.
• The mechanism of action of theanine appears to be in part related to its influence on neurotransmitter production and activity. Theanine has been shown to increase release and concentration of dopamine, inhibit glutamate reuptake, block glutamate receptors, increase GABA concentration, decrease noradrenaline and increase serotonin levels. In addition, human clinical studies have demonstrated an effect of theanine on alpha brain wave activity.
• The typical dose used in human clinical studies is 200mg daily.
• The clinical effects of theanine may be rapid (within 40 minutes) and may also produce effects when used daily over longer periods of time (1-2 months)
This website and its content is copyright of Nutri Advanced ©. All rights reserved. See our terms & conditions for more detail.
Most Popular Articles
A guide for Health Professionals to learn more about each of the products in the Nutri Advanced stress support formulas and the benefits & recommended uses for each.
In this webinar Jo Gamble will discuss the how the thyroid works, and the many underlying factors to consider when it isn’t working as it should.
Your immune system is incredibly complex, but these lifestyle, dietary and supplement do's are easy steps to take to help to maintain a healthy immune system.
The level of toxins we’re exposed to on a daily basis is staggering, and toxins are primary drivers of many health problems through these 10 ways.