10 Quick Facts About Friendly Bacteria
1. Gut bacteria outnumber the cells in your body by 10:1
2. There are both beneficial and pathogenic bacteria in your gut and it’s crucially important that the good guys outnumber the bad. When this balance is disrupted, physical, mental and emotional health can all suffer.
3. The gut bacteria are the frontline of your immune system – the 100 trillion bacteria that line your intestinal tract defend your body from outside invaders.
4. It’s not just your immune health that benefits from a thriving community of good bacteria – they neutralize toxic-by products of digestion, prevent the growth of harmful pathogenic bacteria, control our metabolism, reduce toxins and carcinogens, help to extract energy, nutrients and fatty acids from our food, support hormone balance and even have a significant impact on our mental and emotional health.
5. The gut bacteria can communicate with the brain and influence how we behave, think and feel. Poor gut health has been linked to ADHD, autism, CFS, OCD, Tourette syndrome, anxiety and depression.
6. There is a close relationship between stress-related psychiatric symptoms such as anxiety and gastrointestinal disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome.
7. Hormones secreted during the stress response promote the growth of ‘bad’ bacteria.
8. Refined sugars found in sugary drinks and snacks feed the ‘bad’ bacteria, which are more likely to cause disease than promote health. Fresh wholefoods promote the growth of ‘friendly’ bacteria.
9. Fermented foods such as kefir, kombucha and kimchi are a great addition to the diet as they supply beneficial bacteria that are quickly incorporated into the gut population.
10. Take a daily high quality probiotic supplement to help to support an optimal balance of bacteria in the gut.
This website and its content is copyright of Nutri Advanced ©. All rights reserved. See our terms & conditions for more detail.
Most Popular Articles
The new school year requires your child to be fully energised, ready to concentrate, able to deal with daily strains and much more - find out how you can support these.
Nutri Advanced offers one of the most comprehensive vitamin D product ranges available. We aim to cater for all of your vitamin D needs no matter what your age.