Think about the amazing job our joints do for us throughout our lives. They enable movement to happen between bones that allows us to act and move. Our joints withstand years of use. It’s no wonder that most of us, at some stage suffer with a joint problem, be it an injury, or in future years’ arthritis as a result of the “wear and tear” of life’s activities. Others may deal with autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, which can be very chronic and debilitating.
With so many different products on the market (and even just within the Nutri Advanced range!) it can be confusing to know what supplements to take for the problem you may have. Read on for a concise and simple answer as to the most indicated supplements for the different joint problems:
For All Joint Issues
Ultimately, at the root of all of these joint issues, you will find inflammation. Therefore, in all instances, nutrients, herbs and spices that support inflammation will be indicated. The nutrients with the biggest positive impact on inflammation are pure omega-3 fish oils, curcumin, one of the active components of the spice turmeric, and the herb Boswellia.
• Pure Omega-3 Fish Oil is one of the most powerful supplements that you can take to help support inflammation, as the majority of us are Omega-6 fatty acid dominant, which fuels inflammation. Omega-3 fish oils help to swing the balance back to where it should be.
• Curcumin is the king of bringing down inflammation across numerous pathways in the body, all at the same time. Make sure you choose a high quality, well absorbed form which can get to work super fast. A herb that compliments the actions of curcumin is Boswellia which has been shown to maintain joint health and support joint flexibility
Osteoarthritis is the “wear and tear” of our joints, especially those that we have put the most strain on, such as our knees, or as a result of years of repetitive movements, due to our job, or just life.
•Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies, providing the "building blocks" for the structure and support of the connective tissues which are vital for healthy joints. It is what holds the body together, like scaffolding, to provide structure and strength. As we age, the production of collagen within the body rapidly declines. Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and silicon all support a healthy joint matrix.
• Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM may help to reduce painful joint symptoms and improve mobility. MSM is a crucial structural component of ALL connective tissue in the body, as it’s part of the body’s “scaffolding”. Glucosamine sulphate is also a building block needed to make cartilage and connective tissue.
For Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a complex health issue involving the immune system as well as the joints. Immune health and balance is linked to the gut, so supporting a healthy gut is important too.
• Vitamin D is essential for a healthy and balanced immune system and in the UK we are commonly low in vitamin D, especially in the winter months.
• Non-dairy Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM and Bifidobacterium lactis are beneficial bacteria that may support an optimal balance of bacteria in the gut.
For Sports Injury/Runner’s Knee
In acute injury, inflammation is the strongest result as our bodies jump into action. Pain, swelling and reduced mobility are all often present. If you feel you have “creaky knees” your knees may grind, pop or ache, especially when climbing stairs or getting up after a while. It’s also known as “runner’s knee”, but may be caused by a wide range of joint problems. We can assist our body to repair by providing lots of good nutrition and some powerful-acting nutrients.
• Natural eggshell membrane (NEM) is full of nourishment for rebuilding the joints, whilst also addressing inflammation. It has been shown to be relatively fast-acting at low doses – give it a try!
• Serrapeptase is a proteolytic enzyme that provides natural support for inflammation, that also may help to relieve pain. Proteolytic enzymes may “digest” inflamed tissue, breaking down tissue that is fibrous while helping to reduce fluid build-up.
• A combination of amino acids, minerals, MSM and Horsetail provide many of the building blocks of collagen, which is part of the base of all cartilage, ligaments and even bone. This combination is especially useful if there is any ligament or tendon damage.
For Stiff Joints/Mobility Issues/Pain/General Wear & Tear
As people get older, they may suffer with reduced mobility (movement), stiffness, pain and “wear and tear” that may lead to arthritis. Others may have mobility restrictions or pain due to injury. It’s crucial we help keep our joints as flexible as possible, exercising them to include their full range of movement regularly – this will help to ensure healthy mobility.
• Collagen is the most important component of all connective tissue and its function is to give the tissues a mechanical resistance to stretching. Glucosamine, chondroitin, manganese and MSM may help to reduce painful joint symptoms and improve mobility.
For Bone Health
Our joints are the places where bones meet, and often, particularly as we age, we need support for both bone and joint health.
• Calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, boron and other trace minerals all form part of the bone matrix. A healthy bone matrix is needed for healthy bones.
There are plenty of options and combinations that may help to decrease pain and inflammation, while helping to rebuild and restore injured or damaged joints. Considering the vitally important job our joints do every day, treat them kindly and nourish them however you can – you will feel the difference!
Of course if you’re taking any medications or are pregnant or breast-feeding, it’s always wise to check with your healthcare practitioner before taking any new supplements.